HFACT Counselling Service
HFACT continues to provide our counselling service. However, in line with the precautions recommended by the Australian Government during the COVID-19 crisis, the service will be provided remotely via tele-consulting. The safety of our members and HFACT’s counsellor, Kathryn Body, is of prime importance. Please note that Kathryn is still taking appointments, although these consultations will be over the phone. Kathryn is not limited to discussing issues relating to bleeding disorders and you are welcome to contact her to discuss concerns relating to the COVID-19 crisis. For example anxiety, loss of employment, home schooling, working from home etc.
Kathryn can be contacted by phone on 0409 830 472 or via email to [email protected] . This service is free to people with a bleeding disorder and/or their families.
The information below describes the service as it applied prior to the COVID-19 crisis.
HFACT provides formal and informal support from our counsellor to members and their family.
Areas addressed may include:
- Emotional support regarding any personal issue, for example managing work life balance, relationship issues or anxiety.
- Assistance with accessing health information, such as: courses to manage pain; advice on managing sleep; obtaining a community health referral to a physio/ dietician/ other allied health practitioner.
- Support for self or family members during periods of illness, for e.g. hospital visits, assistance with IPTAS -The Interstate Patient Travel Assistance Scheme, and referral to the hospital play therapist and haemophilia nurse.
- Confidential self-referral can be made by contacting our counsellor directly using the details below.
- Alternatively, contact the staff at the Canberra Hospital Haemophilia Treatment Centre who can arrange to get our counsellor to contact you.
- This service is free to members and their families and to members of the community affected by inherited bleeding disorders.
- Counselling is available at the hospital or in other locations such as home, work or school (where appropriate).
Counselling at the Haemophilia Treatment Centre
Please note: due to the COVID-19 (coronavirus) crisis, counselling sessions are not currently available at the hospital or other venues. The information below describes the normal arrangements that have been suspended until further notice. Please see the top of the page for details.
Kathryn, our counsellor, works at the Canberra Hospital Haemophilia Treatment Centre (HTC) every Thursday. Sessions are usually by private appointment but if you drop by the HTC and Kathryn is free, she will be happy to see you.
However, in addition to seeing clients at the HTC, Kathryn also makes use of this time to visit in-patients at the Canberra Hospital. So if you drop-in to see Kathryn and cannot find her at the HTC, ask the reception staff on Level 4 (the floor where the HTC is located) of the Canberra Region Cancer Centre to call Kathryn on her mobile to let her know you are there.
Any member of the bleeding disorders community can of course continue to contact Kathryn directly for an appointment at a convenient time.
You can contact our counsellor in the following ways:
Counsellor Ms Kathryn Body
T 0409 830 472
Haemophilia Treatment Centre
Please contact Kathryn directly using the details above.
T 0481 013 323
Date last reviewed: 26 March 2020