HFACT Counselling Service
HFACT provides formal and informal support from our counsellor to members and their family.
Areas addressed may include:
- Emotional support regarding any personal issue, for example managing work life balance, relationship issues or anxiety.
- Assistance with accessing health information, such as: courses to manage pain; advice on managing sleep; obtaining a community health referral to a physio/ dietician/ other allied health practitioner.
- Support for self or family members during periods of illness, for e.g. hospital visits, assistance with IPTAS -The Interstate Patient Travel Assistance Scheme, and referral to the hospital play therapist and haemophilia nurse.
- Confidential self-referral can be made by contacting our counsellor directly using the details below.
- Alternatively, contact the staff at the Canberra Hospital Haemophilia Treatment Centre who can arrange to get our counsellor to contact you.
- This service is free to members and their families and to members of the community affected by inherited bleeding disorders.
- Counselling is available at the hospital or in other locations such as home, work or school (where appropriate).
Drop-In Sessions at the Haemophilia Treatment Centre
Kathryn, our counsellor, works at the Canberra Hospital Haemophilia Treatment Centre (HTC) every Thursday from 10am till 2pm, for clients who want to drop-in without an appointment, and by private appointment.
However, in addition to seeing clients at the HTC, Kathryn also makes use of this time to visit in-patients at the Canberra Hospital. So if you drop-in to see Kathryn and cannot find her at the HTC, ask the reception staff on Level 4 (the floor where the HTC is located) of the Canberra Region Cancer Centre to call Kathryn on her mobile to let her know you are there.
Any member of the bleeding disorders community can of course continue to contact Kathryn directly for an appointment at a convenient time.
You can contact our counsellor in the following ways:
Counsellor Ms Kathryn Body
T 0409 830 472
Haemophilia Treatment Centre
T 0481 013 323
Date last reviewed: 7/03/2018